skip to content

16 May 2022

The results from the latest Research Excellence Framework (REF) recognised the global impact of Cambridge’s research in Materials Science.

In REF 2021, for the first time, our Department was included within the Engineering Unit of Assessment (UoA), together with the Department of Chemical Engineering and Biotechnology, and the Department of Engineering in Cambridge.  The excellence of the combined results reflects the close collaborative relationships amongst the Departments, and with other Departments in the Schools of Technology and the Physical and Biological Sciences, and externally, both nationally and internationally.

99% of Cambridge’s overall submissions within the Engineering UoA were rated as ‘world leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’, demonstrating the major impact that researchers in our departments are making every day.  56.8% of the submitted outputs (journal papers) were awarded the highest rating of 4* overall, meaning they are ‘world leading’. A further 40.9% of outputs were rated 3* overall (internationally excellent).  81.8% of the impact case studies were 4* with the remaining 18.2% scored at 3*, and our environment statement scored the maximum 4* on all measures.   These results highlight the truly global importance of the work of we are doing.

The Times Higher Education ranking placed Cambridge at #2 for Engineering in REF 2021.

These results highlight the truly international influence of the work of our Departments.  Materials innovation lies at the heart of solutions to global challenges from clean energy, to sustainability, healthcare and beyond.  We are immensely proud of this recognition of the importance, quality and impact of our research.