Professor of Materials Science
BSc (Eng) Imperial College
PhD University of Cambridge
Materials Science of Functional Oxides
I am Professor of Materials Science in Cambridge. I am a Long Term Visiting Staff Member at Los Alamos National Laboratory, New Mexico, and am founding Editor-in-Chief of the Journal, APL Materials, from the American Institute of Physics (http://scitation.aip.org/content/aip/journal/aplmater).
About my work
My group's research is concerned with the nanoscale design and tuning of functional oxide thin film materials for a variety of energy applications for generation, transmission, storage and harvesting. Oxides are of growing interest to all the applied science community owing to their very wide range of functions. However, their compositions tend to be complex, defects are prevalent, and interface effects play a strong role. Also, for many applications device structural dimensions are required down to nanometre length-scales. Together, all these factors produce exciting challenges for the materials scientist.
The materials systems currently under in my group are complex magnetic oxides for new kinds of magnetoelectrics, superconductors, oxides in solar cells, and ferroelectrics. Example processing methods that we use include advanced pulsed laser deposition (PLD) with in-situ RHEED and XPS, and atmospheric atomic layer deposition (AALD). When using PLD, we fabricate epitaxial films in the form of either conventional planar thin films architectures or heteroepitaxial nanocomposites. When using atmospheric ALD, we fabricate non-epitaxial binary oxides at ~100-200°C. Physical properties are measured by a wide range of electrical and optical characterisation methods.
We collaborate with several groups, including those in Cambridge and others around the world (most closely with Quanxi Jia at CINT, Los Alamos, and H. Wang at Texas A&M). We also work with industries in the U.K. and across the world..
- S. Lee, W. Zhang, F. Khatkhatay, H. Wang, Q. Jia, J. L. MacManus-Driscoll, "Ionic Conductivity Increased by Two Orders of Magnitude in Micrometer-Thick Vertical Yttria-Stabilized ZrO2 Nanocomposite Films", Nano Letters, 15, 7362-7369 (2015)
- S. M. Yang, S. Lee, J. Jian, W. Zhang, P. Lu, Q. Jia, H. Wang, T. W. Noh, S. V. Kalinin, J. L. MacManus‐Driscoll, "Strongly enhanced oxygen ion transport through samarium-doped CeO2 nanopillars in nanocomposite films", Nature Communications, 6, 8588 (2015)
- R. L. Z. Hoye, D. Muñoz-Rojas, S. F. Nelson, A. Illiberi, P. Poodt, F. Roozeboom, J. L. MacManus-Driscoll, "Research Update: Atmospheric pressure spatial atomic layer deposition of ZnO thin films: Reactors, doping, and devices", APL Materials, 3, 040701 (2015)
- R. L. Z. Hoye, M. R. Chua, K. P. Musselman, G. Li, M.-L. Lai, Z.-K. Tan, N. C. Greenham, J. L. MacManus-Driscoll, R. H. Friend, D. Credgington, "Enhanced Performance in Fluorene-Free Organometal Halide Perovskite Light-Emitting Diodes using Tunable, Low Electron Affinity Oxide Electron Injectors", Advanced Materials, 27, 1414-1419 (2015)
- S. Lee, A. Sangle, P. Lu, A. Chen, W. Zhang, J. S. Lee, H. Wang, Q. Jia, J. L. MacManus-Driscoll, "Novel Electroforming-Free Nanoscaffold Memristor with Very High Uniformity, Tunability, and Density", Advanced Materials, 26, 6284-6289 (2014)