Past events hosted within or of interest to the Department are listed here (upto 1 year ago). Visit our main Events page to see upcoming events.
Angelo Di Bernardo
Professor Michael F. Ashby CBE FRS FREng will be giving the Honorary Fellows Lecture of the Cambridge Philosophical Society. All welcome. (A complimentary drinks reception to follow on after the lecture will take place in the foyer to the lecture theatre for all attendees.)
The Cambridge heat of the 2017 IOM3 Young Persons Lecture Competition (YPLC) is an event which aims to judge the presentation skills of young Materials Scientists and their ability to communicate with a generalist audience a Materials-related topic of their choice.
We will assemble in Goldsmith's Lecture Room 1, at 6.30pm, aiming for a 6.45pm start. The speakers will give their presentations and the judges are then allowed to ask one question each. Once all of the speakers have given their lecture, we will move to the Tea Room for some light refreshments, while the judges deliberate. The judges will then join us in the Tea Room to announce the outcome and give the prizes. The event should be complete by about 8.30pm.
1. Michael Smith - A touch screen for cells: Exploring the uses of piezoelectric materials to interface with biology
2. Lok Yi Lee - Cubic zincblende gallium nitride for green-wavelength light emitting diodes
3. Isabella Gariboldi - Vascularizing Bone Substitute Materials: Uncovering the Role of Micro-Architecture
4. John Jarman - Light Machinery: nanoscale engineering of materials for quantum light sources
5. Helen Springbett - Single photon sources for quantum cryptography
It would be great to see as many people as possible at the Competition, to hear some excellent talks and to support the speakers.